One of the things I’ve noticed about being in the hobby for so long is how much time we spend tweaking lists. I’ve written and rewritten my 2,000 point list for our escalation league dozens of times and spent hours doing so. It’s not hard to see why – writing lists is fun. You get to imagine your army, what it looks like, and how it performs against various enemies in various missions. It’s something I can do endlessly.
Unfortunately, tweaking your list doesn’t actually help build your army at all. It’s definitely fun but you can spend all of your time writing your list and never get any paint on your models.
For me getting a fully painted army is the most important aspect of this hobby and one of the reasons I started the escalation league in the first place. One of my goals for 2016 is to create a 2,000 point Imperial Fists army list. To achieve this goal I’ve created a little challenge for myself…
30 Day Challenge
Simply put: I’m going to sit down and paint or build minis every day in January.
Ideally I’d start on the 1st (today) but I’m wrapping up holiday travel and won’t be able to start until the 3rd. I’ll write progress reports each day and have them automatically post the following morning.
Also, for those who are detail oriented: January has 31 days not 30 so I’m giving myself one bye day. I hope to not use it but if something comes up I have one get-out-of-jail-free card.
I’m hoping I can spend most of my time painting models instead of building models. Building is easy because they you can play with it. It’s painting that drags on the longest and is the hardest to do.
This is my army at the start of the year.
- 1 Tactical Squad with grav cannon, flamer, & veteran sergeant with powerfist
- 1 Tactical Squad with grav cannon & grav gun
- 1 Devastator Squad with 2 lascannons, 2 missile launcher, & an armorium cherub
- 1 Captain with powerfist
- 2 Rhinos
- Lysander and 10 assault terminators are primed white and ready to be painted
- Cerastus Knight Lancer which is primed black
- Land Raider – a friend gave this to me. It might not be in the final 2,000pt list but it’s assembled so I should either paint it or sell it to someone else
- Centurions currently cut up into bits
- Dark Apostle from The Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calth boxed set
Terminators & Lysander. They’re part of my my 1,000 point list so they have to be done in January anyway. Since I’m not sure how many terminators I’m going to have in my list I’m going to paint all 10. It’s a bit more to paint but it’s worth it so I can swap a couple guys out easily at the different point levels.