I have been working on a few deathwatch test models: a Blood Angel, Space Wolf, and a Black Templar. Here is the first of the test models (a Blood Angel in case you can’t tell). I think the red and white colors from the Blood Angel heraldry contrast well with the black and silver of the Deathwatch. I wanted to work more with highlights and challenge myself to not use washes or drybrushing; this is quite the challenge since the last army I painted, my Nurgle Daemon Army, is practically all washes and dry brushing.
The paint scheme is as follows:
- Black – Black Primer -> Chaos Black -> Fenris Grey -> Space Wolf Grey
- Silver – Boltgun Metal -> Mithril Silver
- Red – Mechrite Red -> Blood Red
- I also added a small drop of orange on the shoulder pad
- White – Fenris Grey -> Space Wolf Grey -> Skull White
- Parchment – Iyanden Darksun -> Bleached Bone
- Rope – Calthan Brown -> Iyanden Darksun
- Gold Accents – Iyanden Darksun -> Dwarf Bronze
I like the paint scheme. One area I know I can work on is the black armor. There is too much contrast. I like the bright highlight, but I need more of the middle color (Fenris Grey). I think the white colors look really great, and the rope and parchment turned out pretty well. Should I do the little scribbles on the parchment?
The base isn’t finished, I expect to do my usual basing technique which is various browns drybrushed followed by static grass and then a leaf or two.